Friday, March 27, 2009

Hole in His Heart

I just got a note from IFC medical director, Esther Scarborough. She told me about a small boy (I do not have his name) who is living in a camp and needs surgery to close a hole in his heart. I got to see him because I have stopped at that camp a number of times. He is always in the arms of his mother and cries a lot. He seems lethargic and doctors feel they need to get him help soon.

There are about 500 people living in this camp--they are unable or unwilling to return to their homes because of lack of money or safety issues. They remain in these poor conditions and life seems to go on. This small boy is in need of surgery in Jakarta. It can be done but we need the funds to get him help. It costs around $ 3,000 to get him and his mother to Jakarta, lodging and surgery. Please pray with us about this little boy.

I have several photos of him but he is crying in every photo. His family is praying but they are very poor and need some help.