Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Between Two Worlds

Cathy and I had just come from the remote islands to the east of Manado. We had spent lots time with the poor and sick--it was such a blessed time to share their lives and to stand with them. There is something about the simple live they live. The daily struggle to survive is always facing them--hardship is a constant reminder of their world. Our affections were with the abandoned children and the lepers who were now close to our hearts.

Tison is an eight year old boy who was badly burned and was brought to our medical base about six months ago. He is in very bad shape but he just lives as if he had no injuries. He would play soccer and stand on his head. You would never know he was burned so bad and has not seen his family in six months. What a joy to spend time with him and the others who depend on us. I love the time I get to spend with Tison and the others. Billie, his 12 year old friend, was also a burn victim was just a sweet temperamented boy. He and Tison were just the best of friends. and could be found together most of the time.

We left these islands and our friends to speak at a conference in Manado--the rooms were arranged and we checked into the hotel. We entered the hotel lobby and realized this hotel was nicer than any place we have stayed--even in the U.S. We were in a bit of culture shock. We went to the 10th floor to our room. I looked out the window and saw the homes of the poor as far as I could see. I told Cathy--I do not like what I am feeling. It felt sad looking down from the beautifully hotel room to the poverty below us. I then understood we lived between two worlds. My heart was for the poor and I felt the contrast of these two worlds. I understand the difference and the difference is a lot bigger than how much someone owns. It is what owns you. It is one thing to feel for the poor it is another thing to get to know their struggle and to stand with them--that is when these two worlds come together.