Thursday, June 18, 2009

Life at the Ends of the Earth

I-phones, email, blogs, twitter, cell phones, texting and My Space are words and communication systems that we have come to use. These words were hardly known ten years ago. I am still not on My Space or twitter. I guess I am out of touch or just too tired to get on one more new system--by the time I am figuring it out, the train has already left the station with the next new thing to replace twitter or My Space. I will just be that much further behind. It seems like trying to catch up to Michael Phelps with my best dog paddle stroke. Now with all that in mind--put yourself at the end of the world somewhere. That is the challenge we have to our communications at our medical base.

I got a note--the email is out at the base. The satellite system is not working. We now have to send the replacement hardware to get it up again. The temperamental components make it tough to stay in regular contact. There is no cell phone service and the only way to speak to someone is by SAT-Phone. Life at the ends of the earth can be challenging. Maybe the lack of communication might be nice for a few days of quiet.