Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Never Too Old

I met Leroy and Mary this week. Leroy is 74 years old and is drilling water wells in Kenya. He has been there for 20 years now. The youthful look in his eye covers the fact that most people are retired by his age. No retirement for him--he sold his home and he and his sweetheart are going for it in these golden years of their lives. He had lots of meetings and seemed to be fueled with his passion for helping the people of Kenya.

I have heard the saying "die with my boots on". Leroy is the walking personification of that saying. I love the heart and energy I saw in him. I think I might have gone to Kenya with him but I know my heart is in Indonesia. Lord willing I will have the same heart and strength as Leroy when I am in my 70's.

I think we all need to see someone like Leroy to remind us that there is a better way to grow old. He wasn't retreating or resting--he and Mary were putting it all on the line. God Bless them.